The Ultimate Guide to Spring Cleaning
Safety first! In all instances, before you begin cleaning it, ensure your appliance is unplugged from the mains; moreover, that these elements do not get wet in the process.
Our manufacturers build their appliances to last; this is why so many of them offer guarantees of up to 5 years when you purchase a new appliance. However, with a dedicated effort to conduct a little maintenance on them, you can prolong the lifespan of your product even further, keeping it running efficiently, and saving you money.
In all instances, we recommend referring to the manufacturer’s guidelines before spring cleaning any of your home appliances.
How to Spring Clean Your TV & Entertainment Appliances
A dusty, streaky TV screen can not only cause eye strain, but it also affects the sharpness and contrast of your screen - a thin layer of dust will make your TV appear darker than it is. We’ve seen people adjusting the brightness to counterbalance this, and even squinting, or leaning in to see better. Why not just follow these simple cleaning instructions for your screen to improve your viewing pleasure?
Plasma, LED, LCD, & OLED TV’sGone are the days when a wet cloth or duster are acceptable for these super sensitive screens. So, to keep your plasma, LED, LCD or OLED TV looking pristine and cleaning it without damaging it…
- A microfibre cloth, or an electrostatic duster.
- Cleaning spray designed for electronics.
- Lightness of touch!
- Always unplug your device from the mains first.
- Using your microfibre cloth or electrostatic duster, clean the frame of your TV.
- To clean the screen, first use your cloth or duster to remove excess dust. To spot clean any stubborn marks, spray your cleaning spray onto the cloth. Never spray it directly onto your TV screen.
- Remember, TV screens are fragile and can get damaged if you press too hard. With the lightest of touch, gently clean the screen.
- When the screen is completely dry, you can plug your TV back in and enjoy a crisper, cleaner viewing experience!
Please Note: Whilst plasma screens are made of glass, they usually have anti-glare coatings that can become damaged with traditional cleaning products. This is why we’d advise following the same process as you would with LED, LCD & OLED TV’s.
Top Tip: To avoid streaks when cleaning any TV screen, Carolyn Forte, Director of the Good Housekeeping Institute Cleaning Lab suggests; turning the cloth often and wiping the screen first in one direction (horizontally or vertically), then a second time in the oppositedirection. This will thoroughly cover the entire screen and avoid any tell-tale streaks.
Cleaning TV SpeakersIs your TV sounding distorted? Then your TV speakers could have a build up of dust ruining your crystal clear sound. Cleaning them isn’t difficult, just follow these easy steps:
- Lint Roller
- Ensure your speakers aren’t plugged into the mains.
- If the fabric covers on your speakers are removable, pop them off. (Refer to the manufacturers guidelines if you are unsure).
- Using the upholstery vacuum attachment, gently go over both sides of the cover. (Or if fixed, tackle just the front).
- For any stubborn particles, go over again with your lint roll, before replacing the covers (if applicable) and plugging back in.
Make sure this well-handled device doesn’t get overlooked in your Spring cleaning. Here’s our top tips for keeping this sanitised and ready for action:
- Tap the remote, button side down lightly on a table to dislodge any crumbs or debris wedged along the crevices.
- Using a disinfectant wipe (not soaking wet), wipe over the entire device paying special attention to the buttons and the gaps around them.
- After your remote has had a chance to dry, pop the batteries back in and you’re ready to go.
How frequently should you clean your TV & Entertainment Appliances? To keep them in optimum condition and running efficiently we’d say add these onto your weekly chores task list!
- Looking for a guide to TV Screens available? Our Buyer’s Guide should help point you in the right direction as to what options are available.
- Need a new screen for your home? Shop models from your favourite manufacturers online for distribution via our network of independent Euronics Agents.